What is Next Generation 9-1-1 (NG911)?
NG911 is defined as a a secure, IP-based, open-standards system comprised of hardware, software, data, and operational policies and procedures that:
- provides standardized interfaces from emergency call and message services to support emergency communications;
- processes all types of emergency calls, including voice, text, data, and multimedia information;
- acquires and integrates additional emergency call data useful to call routing and handling;
- delivers the emergency calls, messages, and data to the appropriate public safety answering point and other appropriate emergency entities based on the location of the caller;
- supports data, video, and other communications needs for coordinated incident response and management; and
- interoperates with services and networks used by first responders to facilitate emergency response.
With NG911 systems callers will be able to send text messages and transmit photos, videos, and other forms of data to 9-1-1 centers, allowing call centers to better coordinate responses.
9-1-1 centers will have the ability to transfer calls and the associated data to other centers during disasters, service outages, or when calls are misrouted.
Next-generation facilities will be integrated emergency operations centers than can more effectively withstand cyberattacks, push and pull data to and from the field, and better locate wireless callers.
Other emergency and public safety related entities will be able to interconnect to the NG9-1-1 network and system, and be able to receive calls and data sent by the NG9-1-1 system or PSAPs.
WHen will Ng911 be deployed?
- Here's the good news: the technologies and standards needed to make NG911 a reality are already available.
Leaders in public safety, industry, and government have been working for years on the transition and have set an aggressive goal of full nationwide deployment by the end of 2020.
What Can I do to Help?
- Help us spread the word that every community across the country deserves Next Generation 9-1-1 technologies, now!